Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mendocino

Being the dedicated sewer that I am, I have a tendency to hoard collect fabric.  Especially ones that I deem "special".  I keep them separated from the rest of my stash and call them The Horde.  One of said special fabric collections is Heather Ross's Mendocino.  It was her last line for Freespirit fabrics and it is one of my 2 most favorite fabric lines.  So because it is so special it has been sitting on my fabric shelf for 3 years.


Then a couple of weeks ago Kelbysews had the brilliant but terrifying idea to have a quilt a long where we actually use the fabric that we have been hoarding for years.  GASP!  A little traumatizing, but I thought, "Hey!  I should do that!"

So I got to work swapping some of my less precious fabric for some of the Mendocino prints that I didn't have.  One of the swaps I did was with Amanda.  She swapped me 2 very generous cuts for one of my fabric buckets.  So I decided to practice cutting into some other prints from the horde to make her bucket and also to prepare me for cutting into the Mendocino.



I was able to finish the bucket without too much anxiety.  But now that it's time for to cut into Menodcino I can feel the panic rising.  It is sitting on my cutting table ready to go.  But mostly I just keep moving it around, and petting it, and taking photos of it.

Maybe today will be the day that I work up the nerve to do it!  It's just fabric, right?



9 comments:

  1. You can do it!! I'm excited to see what you will make with it. Mendocino is such a gorgeous line. And I love that bucket, too!! Lucky Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone! My fabric is stored in plastic tubs. The tubs with stars on them mean it is my "special fabric".
    Glad it isn't just me. *sigh
    Please be sure you are having one of those "good sewing days" when you use it. I tried to use a piece of mine on a "bad sewing day" and now I have a new pile of "special fabric to save for a quilt"!

    I just recently found your blog. Enjoying it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just beautiful fabric that will never reach it's full potential until you cut it and make it into something more beautiful. Beauty without usefulness is not always beautiful. So, let's see what practical beauty you can make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have SUCH a hard time cutting into my favorites! This quilt will be AMAZING if you bolster up the courage! You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute bucket!! And you need to hurry and make yourself a Mendocino quilt. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bucket. I am sure that the quilt you make will be better than just looking at the piles of fabric....go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just imagine how soft it is going to be! and make sure you put a new blade in your cutter! you will be happier if you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The basket you made is so adorable! I'm sure Amanda will love it! And you can do it! I still haven't even decided what I'll use, so you're ahead of me. I'm confident your Mendocino quilt will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dive in with your cutter! (i love your fabric basket!)

    ReplyDelete